Inspired by my favorite quiche recipe, these broccoli cheddar egg muffins are simple to make and perfectly portioned for easy meals and snacks. They’re also freezer-friendly, so you can make them ahead and pull them out when you’re in need of an effortless meal.
Broccoli Cheddar Egg Muffins
One of my goals as a dietitian is to make dinner as effortless as possible. I prefer meals where, for one round in the kitchen, you can not only have dinner ready but also leftovers for the next day and extra to store in the freezer.
I also love the idea of making foods that are pre-portioned. Not because I’m worried about calories, (If our bodies are hungry for more than one serving of something, that’s okay!), but rather because pre-portioned foods are easy to pack for healthy meals and snacks on the go.
In other words, I’m all about creating the most delicious food for the least amount of time and effort. Real food that fits into real lives. You with me?
That’s why I’m such a huge fan of these broccoli cheddar egg muffins. They were originally inspired by my favorite quiche recipe, but a whole quiche isn’t as easy to portion, store or grab-and-go. So, I adapted the recipe into cute little muffins that are super easy to make and even easier to pack and store for later. Win-win!
Nutritionally speaking, these are definitely on the healthier side compared to your standard quiche. Quiche is often made with whole milk or cream and baked in a pie crust, while these lightened up egg muffins are crustless and made with low-fat milk. They are chock-full of calcium and other vital nutrients, and the eggs, cheese, and milk provide a whopping 12 grams of protein per serving to keep you full and satisfied until your next meal.
Beyond nutrition, I simply love the savory broccoli cheddar flavors of these egg muffins. They work well for virtually any meal – breakfast, lunch or dinner. Try them with a side of fruit for breakfast, or with a hearty green salad for dinner, maybe with some roasted sweet potatoes on the side? YUM.
And don’t forget – freeze a batch to have on hand for later. Pop one or two in a zip-lock bag and reheat at work or school for a protein-packed mid-morning snack, no effort required!
These broccoli cheddar egg muffins are a must-have for your collection of easy, healthy recipes that the whole family will love.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup (3 oz) finely chopped leek (1 large leek)
- 1.5 cups (1.5 oz) spinach, lightly chopped
- 1.5 cups (3 oz) bite-size broccoli florets (1 small head of broccoli)
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add leeks and broccoli, and sauté 5-7 minutes. Add spinach and cook another 1-2 minutes until spinach is wilted. Remove pan from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, salt and pepper. Stir in cheese.
- Divide vegetables evenly between 12 cups of muffin tin. Pour equal amount of egg and cheese mixture over vegetables in each muffin tin (about ¼ cup each).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until knife comes out clean (or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees).
This recipe was adapted from the Spring Quiche recipe from one of my most beloved cookbooks, Simply in Season.