For many kids, the Halloween season is one they look forward to all year round, but for kids (and parents of kids) with food allergies, Halloween can spark fear and anxiety, too.
Between class parties and trick-or-treating, October is full of candy and delicious homemade treats, and it can be hard to know how to keep your child with food allergies safe.
That’s why I created this Food Allergy-Friendly Halloween Guide. I’ve gathered up the best food allergy resources from around the web to get you and your kids through Halloween safely, while still enjoying all of the fun!
First, look through the most recent Halloween candy lists for food allergies. Whether your concern is nuts, dairy, gluten, or even all top 8 food allergens, there’s a list of safe Halloween candy for you to go by.
Food Allergy-Friendly Halloween Candy
- Halloween Candy Free of the Top 8 Allergens
- Gluten-free Halloween Candy List
- The Best Dairy-Free Halloween Candy
- Nut-Free Halloween Candy Guide
- Soy-Free Halloween Candy List
- The Safe Snack Guide Halloween Edition
- Enjoy Life Foods’ Allergy-Friendly Chocolate Minis
Second, consider instituting some food allergy-friendly trick-or-treat ideas. By encouraging neighbors to participate in the Teal Pumpkin Project, marking allergy-safe candy, or offering non-candy treat options, trick-or-treat night can be safe for kids regardless of food allergies.
Food Allergy-Friendly Trick-or-Treat Ideas
- Make trick-or-treat safe for kids with allergies by participating in the Teal Pumpkin Project
- Ideas for Non-Food Treats for Trick-or-Treaters
- 10 Cool and Candy-free Trick or Treat Options
- Allergy-friendly Candy Tags from Enjoy Life Foods
- Tips to Safely Celebrate Halloween at Home and at School
- Best Tips for Managing Food Allergies on Halloween
Finally, if you’re looking to make some homemade allergy-friendly treats for your child, or if you need to send in an allergen-free treat for a class party, I’ve got you covered with this list of yummy, allergy-friendly treat recipes for Halloween.
Food Allergy-Friendly Halloween Recipes
- Scary Good Allergy-Friendly Halloween Recipes
- 9 Spook-tacular Gluten-Free Halloween Recipes
- The Big List of Ghoulishly Good Dairy-Free Halloween Recipes
- 10 Easy Halloween Treats that are Gluten and Dairy-Free
- 5 Nut-Free Halloween Treats Your Kids Will Love
- Nut-free Halloween School Treat Ideas
Remember, even if your kids don’t have food allergies, it’s likely that some of their friends (or the trick-or-treaters coming to your door) do. If we all do our best to provide clearly labeled allergy-free options for kids who need them, every child (and parent!) will be able to enjoy a safe and anxiety-free Halloween.
*Disclaimer*: Home Cooked Happy is not responsible for the content of the third-party websites linked to above. If you or your child have food allergies, always carefully read recipes and food labels before consuming any food to be sure that it is indeed free of the specified allergen(s).
Looking for some more Halloween ideas for your family? Check out this post on 5 ways to have a healthier Halloween!