In our family, packable healthy snacks are a pre-requisite for any summer adventure. Whether it’s a vacation, day trip, hike, or a day spent at the beach, pool, or park, we absolutely have to have healthy snacks at the ready.
Quite simply, we all need to eat when we’re hungry! Having packable snacks on hand prevents hunger from turning into a cranky meltdown – otherwise known as “hanger.” (My husband likes to tell people that I turn into a velociraptor when I get too hungry so… enough said.) Don’t let a failure to pack snacks be the reason a good day quickly dissolves into a bad one.
Plus, from a financial perspective, having packable snacks means that you don’t have to spend twice as much on snack bar snacks at the pool or the zoo.
And don’t worry – these snacks are great for any occasion, all year-round. In need of lunch box ideas? Snacks to send in to daycare? Road trip snacks? This list has got you covered.
To prepare yourself with the best packable healthy snacks for kids, you just need to do a few simple things:
- Peruse this list of packable healthy snacks for kids. Choose the snacks you want to have on hand, and add the items to your grocery list.
- Prep your snacks. Slice cheese or veggies, make sandwiches, and divide up larger items like trail mix, crackers and dips into smaller, packable containers. Ziplock bags and small Tupperware containers work great.
- Pack the snacks for the day in your bag or cooler, and you’re good to go!
Here are 50 packable healthy snacks for kids that you can try this summer (or any time at all). I promise you’ll be glad you did!
- Apple slices
- Orange slices
- Watermelon (sliced or cubed)
- Pineapple (sliced or cubed)
- Fruit cups (in 100% fruit juice)
- Applesauce cups
- Fruit leather
- Fruit and veggie pouches
- Carrot sticks
- Sliced bell pepper
- Sliced cucumber
- Broccoli florets
- Cherry tomatoes
Sandwiches, Wraps & More
- Peanut butter (or almond butter, sun butter, etc.) and jelly
- Meat and cheese roll-ups
- Turkey and cheese sandwich or wrap
- Tuna fish sandwich or wrap
- Pita stuffed with veggies and hummus
- Dry Cereal
- Tortilla chips
- Pita chips
- Plantain chips
- Energy bites
- Nuts (almonds, cashews, etc.)
- Trail mix
- Roasted chickpeas
- Granola bars
- Breakfast cookies
- Muffins or mini-muffins
Cheese, Yogurt & Eggs
Pair ‘Em Up
- Crackers with peanut butter
- Cheese and crackers
- Veggies, crackers or tortilla chips with hummus
- Veggies with yogurt ranch dip
- Tortilla chips with guacamole
- Fruit with fruit dip
- Celery with peanut butter
As you can see, there’s no reason to go snack-less this summer. Prepare a few of these packable healthy snacks for kids each week, and you’ll be ready for every family adventure.